Our Carbon Offset Program
At Evia Private Tours, we recognize that travel has an impact on the planet and we have already been committed to work towards it. That’s why we’ve partnered with Sustainable Travel International to make all of our private tours and airport transfers carbon neutral. Along with balancing out our carbon footprint, our carbon offset program funds essential projects that advance global climate action.
How we are working to make our private tours and transfers carbon neutral
- We’ve partnered with Sustainable Travel International to calculate the carbon footprint of each tour and transfers we sell. This includes primarily all emissions from our vehicles.
- We purchase carbon offsets from Sustainable Travel International equivalent to the amount of emissions produced by our fleet. The dollars we invest are distributed across a portfolio of verified climate projects.
- These projects fight climate change by removing greenhouse gasses from the atmosphere or avoiding emissions that would otherwise happen. Keep reading to learn about the different types of climate projects that we support.
On September the 10th, 2023, Evia Private Tours obtained its first Carbon Offset Certificate for the first 3 quarters of 2023 by offseting 8.8 metric tones of CO2 emissions through Sustainable Travel International. Our privately owned fleet have done about 46K kilometres.
What types of projects does our carbon offset program support?
Through our partnership with Sustainable Travel International, we support three types of carbon offset projects that actively fight climate change in a number of ways.
- Forestry Projects: Trees absorb carbon as they grow and store it in their biomass. When forests are destroyed, the carbon they were storing is released into the air. Forestry carbon offset projects prevent existing forests from being lost and restore degraded forest areas.
- Energy Projects: Energy carbon offset projects reduce reliance on climate-warming fossil fuels. These projects may generate clean energy, such as wind or solar power; convert waste into energy; or reduce fuel needs through the distribution of energy efficient devices.
- Blue Carbon Projects: Certain coastal ecosystems, like peat swamps and mangrove forests, act as massive carbon sinks. Blue carbon projects conserve these ecosystems which also play an important role in protecting coastal communities from the impacts of climate change.
How do you know these projects are really making a difference?
Sustainable Travel International carefully vets every project in their portfolio via a rigorous due diligence process to ensure the emissions reductions are verified and credible. On top of this, Sustainable Travel International seeks out projects that create added benefits beyond CO2 reductions and contribute to the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). For instance, projects may create local jobs and livelihood opportunities, strengthen indigenous land rights, improve hygiene and sanitation, or protect endangered species.
More information about Sustainable Travel International’s quality assurance protocol can be found here.
How can you reduce your carbon footprint?
You too can take action to cut down your travel emissions and leave behind a positive impact on the planet. These tips from Sustainable Travel International will help you get started.
About Sustainable Travel International
Sustainable Travel International is a global organization dedicated to protecting the planet’s most vulnerable destinations and transforming tourism’s impact on nature and people. They are charting a new course for travel and tourism – one that leads to healthier environments, greater opportunities for local communities, social justice, and the celebration of cultural diversity. Sustainable Travel International has worked in more than 100 destinations around the world and served as the sustainability partner of the tourism industry for the past two decades, engaging travelers, businesses, and destination leaders in responsible practices.
With a 15+ year track record of helping individuals and businesses mitigate their carbon footprint, Sustainable Travel International is leading the way towards net zero travel and advancing climate action in tourism. They are recognized as the #1 carbon offset provider for travel by leading publications, including Treehugger, Investopedia, and EcoWatch.
To learn more about Sustainable Travel International and their work, visit www.sustainabletravel.org.