A very challenging archaeological wonder lies in the area of Southern Evia: it’s the 25 famous huge constructions called Drakóspita (=Dragon houses).
Always located on steep and dominating locations, they are built with huge slabs of limestone which form a pyramid-shaped roof: opposite walls converge towards each other as the slabs are put on top one another with each of them protruding as regards its inferior one. Other architectural features include monolithic jambs and lintels, as well as stone shelves protruding from the wall.
Many theories have been proposed in order to explain when, how and for which use the dragonhouses were built. Some have claimed that they were ancient sanctuaries of either Zeus or Hera or Heracles. Others believe that they might have been guard posts or defensive structures, or even shelters for lumberjacks. Whichever the truth is, their imposing size and construction technique is an intriguing enigma!
Hiking up Mt Ochi is a lifetime experience. The area is a Natura 2000 one, for its natural beauty, its very rare –isolated for thousands of years – flora, and its wild fauna. Walk up this very old ecosystem starting from the location of Myloi Karystou to the shelter at 1100m. Breathe in thyme and wild tea, and marvel at the century-old chestnut trees at the location Kastanologgos. It is at the shelter that you will find the well-signed path that will take you past steep slopes onto the peak of the mountain. A stop at the chapel of Profitis Ilias, perched on the cliffs, will offer you a breathtaking view around. Of course, a visit to the Drakospito is a must!
Type: Explore/ Adventure Tour
Suitability: Singles, Couples, Groups
Location: South Evia
Duration: Day Trip
Length: app 350km (220 miles) roundtrip (starting from your hotel in Athens)
Extra optional day: Visit in some of the best South Evia’s beaches such as Armirixi beach (Mesoxoria), Mourteri beach (Oktonia), Xeromylos beach (Petries) (Extra 150 km/ 93 miles – 50 EUR per person)
Cost: From 100 EUR per person (min 6 people)
Availability: Upon Request
Local Guide: Not included but can be arranged with an extra charge (150 EUR)
Please read carefully our Terms & Conditions before booking.
#Evia #DragonHouses #PrivateTour #Styra
What is included
- Transfer to/ from your hotel in Athens, Chalkida or elsewhere (including fuel, tolls, parking fees, etc.)
- Water, snacks and local delicacies
- Local tour/ hiking guide can be arranged with an extra charge (150 EUR)
- Overnight accommodation in Styra can be arranged upon request for 80 EUR (for a double occupancy room)
What is NOT included
- All meals and drinks (visiting local restaurants and food arrangements can be organised though without extra charges)
- Travel Insurance
- Flight tickets to/ from Athens (We strongly advise you to check www.swoodoo.com the best flight tickets search engine, for the best airfare deals.)
- Whatever has not been mentioned clearly