The Best Food Tours in Athens and Beyond
Athens is an iconic city, primarily for its fascinating history and architecture. It’s also renowned for its delicious cuisine, offering travelers an unforgettable way to experience Greek culture and local flavors.
While the Acropolis is at the top of your tourist to-do list, a Greek Food Tour in Athens (or in nearby Evia) is highly recommended. This article will discuss why you should book a Greek Food Tour. We will also recommend our favorites and give you direct contacts to potential tour hosts (like us!).
Why You Should Book a Greek Food Tour
A food tour is a fun and educational experience for anyone visiting Greece. It provides a taste of the history, culture, and flavors that make each region unique. On a Greek Food Tour in Athens and Evia, you’ll visit local eateries and be introduced to some of the region’s most traditional dishes. You’ll gain insight into what eating like a true Greek means and get a memorable introduction to the area’s gastronomic scene.
Let’s review the top benefits of booking a food tour:
- Meet locals and learn about food culture: Get an insider’s look into the area. You’ll get to talk with locals along the way who can share their stories and provide insight into the area’s unique food tastes.
- Experience traditional dishes: On a food tour, you’ll get to try traditional Greek dishes. This way, when you encounter items on a menu like souvlaki and moussaka – you’ll know exactly what you like and what to order.
- Explore all your favorite Greek dishes and drinks. Greek food is a world favorite, but it’s even better when it’s fresh from the source. From classic Greek favorites like baklava and tzatziki to lesser-known dishes like gigantes beans, you’ll get to explore them all. Don’t forget the local wine, olive oil, figs, and more (yum!).
- Uncover hidden gems: Food tours allow one to uncover secret local eateries and personal chefs that many don’t know about.
- You’ll also be able to sample lesser-known local specialties from rural areas of Greece. This is especially true if you venture a little off the beaten path to explore the Greek island of Evia, which is a very short drive away.
Overall, a food tour allows visitors to explore the area’s vibrant culinary scene in depth, get to know local eateries, learn about the region’s food history and culture, and sample some of the most delicious dishes in Greece.
Other Fun Activities Related to Greek Food
In addition to food tours, which traditionally involve walking to various eateries and sampling dishes, there are other unique options that you can try related to Greek Food. These include:
- Tour Local Farms and Food Processors: Get first-hand insight into local food production techniques. Learning about these processes can be an interesting way to appreciate the area’s delicious cuisine even more.
- Visit Local Markets: Visiting a market gives you insight into what locals eat and the array of fresh ingredients they use in their dishes. It’s also a great chance to practice your bartering (or watch your guide barter for you).
- Cooking classes: Offer a great opportunity to learn how to cook traditional Greek dishes from scratch, using family recipes passed down through generations.
- Wine tasting & food pairing: Greece is also renowned for its wine production. You’ll get to sample some of the best local wines and learn how they are made. Plus, you can pair some amazing food with it.
The ultimate goal here is simple. Get an authentic taste of local life (literally and figuratively).
Our Top-Recommended Tours
Looking for a Greek Food Tour that’ll blow your mind and taste buds? We’ve got options for you – and they’re all great. But you may be surprised to learn that your top recommendations are not limited in Athens but also very close by on the island of Evia.
Why? Because Athens is packed with people and tourists – it is honestly very hard to find an authentic experience away from the hustle and bustle.
Evia Wine Tours
Visit local family-run wineries and local businesses. Chat about the process of making wine on a small scale, how to pair your favorite wines with local Greek food, and enjoy the company of your new wine-making friends.
Click here to book: https://www.eviaprivatetours.com/evia-wine-tours/
Visiting wineries include: Skoumpris Winery, Lykos Winery and Avantis Estate
Private Food Tour – Athens and Evia
Experience various food-related adventures, including visiting local wineries, tavernas (traditional greek restaurants), and bakeries. You will meet friendly locals and taste real Greek life with your private tour guide and driver. This experience is about as authentic as it gets.
Click here to book: https://www.eviaprivatetours.com/private-food-tour/
Local Products of Evia Tour
Get an insider’s look at all the great production processes in Evia (a short drive from Athens). Immerse yourself in tours of wineries, a fig farm, eco-farms, a pasta workshop, and more. This is a must-do for any foodies that love to learn about the processes behind growing and making delicious food.
Click here to book: https://www.eviaprivatetours.com/local-products-of-evia/
Private Dining in Athens and Evia
Want an authentic home-cooked meal showcasing Greece’s best local staples? Get a truly personalized experience with our private dining. Give our cook insight into your favorite dishes and preferences. Then, we will craft a unique experience for you with locally sourced fresh ingredients and family recipes that will taste absolutely amazing.
Click here to book: https://www.eviaprivatetours.com/private-dining/
Customized Greek Cooking Classes
Learn how to cook traditional Greek dishes from the experts, using family recipes passed down through generations. Plus, you’ll get to keep the recipes and enjoy your creations with friends and family later (the perfect souvenir from your travels, rather than a plastic toy).
Click here to book: https://www.eviaprivatetours.com/cooking-classes-greek-gastronomy/
Other Recommended Food Tours in Athens
If you decide to stay in Athens for your food tours, here are the ones we recommend:
Athens for Foodies: The Ultimate Gastronomy Tour
A 4-hour tour led by a knowledgeable local guide. You’ll discover hidden culinary gems, visit pastry and food shops, traditional restaurants, and taverns, as well as explore Athens Central Market. It includes 15 traditional Greek dishes, history, and culture.
Click here to book: https://greeking.me/tours/30-athens-food-tour
Private Walking Food Tour in Athens
Join an expert food guide away from the touristy spots. Taste various traditional Greek delicacies. Also, explore the bustling central food market of Athens and specialty food shops, bakeries, and sweet shops. Learn about Greece’s unique and intricate culinary heritage and the famous Mediterranean diet.
Click here to book: https://www.athenswalkingtours.gr/athens-tours/45-private-athens-food-tour.html
Alternative Athens Tour
Choose from a variety of tours with Alternative Athens. You can sign up for a walking food tour, street eats tour, home-cooked meals, cooking classes, and more.
Click here to book: https://www.alternativeathens.com/tours/category/food-tours/
Athens Food and Culture Tour
If you want to try a little bit of everything Greek food offers, this tour is for you. It offers 26 foods and seven drinks to try over a 6-hour period while learning more about Greek culture too.
Click here to book: https://www.epiculiar.tours/tour/athens-koukaki-food-culture-tour-6h/
How to Get the Most Out of Your Greek Getaway
Experiencing a culture’s food is just one of the many fun perks of vacation mode. With all of the above options, you can make sure to get your fill of delicious Greek food and learn something new along the way.
When looking for food tours, priority should be given to those that incorporate local production processes. This ensures that you’ll get an authentic experience and a chance to connect with locals who bring their unique flavor to the experience.
It’s also important to be mindful of what you eat and drink. Pairing wines with dishes, sampling fresh produce from markets, and learning about traditional recipes will give you a greater appreciation for the area and its culture.
Food Tours Are Great for Everyone
Food tours are great for foodies, solo travelers, couples, and families alike. They provide an excellent opportunity to explore, learn about the culture and cuisine, meet locals, and indulge in delicious food.
So go out there and enjoy! And don’t forget to book a tour with us – we can’t wait to help you enjoy all Greece has to offer. Bon Appétit!
Book a Food Tour and Try Something New
No matter what season or type of experience you’re looking for, there’s a perfect food related activity in Greece waiting to be discovered. With the tips we’ve provided, you’ll have all the information needed to choose and book a unique tour easily. All you’ll have to do is show up and enjoy all Greece has to offer.
If you still have any questions about how to get the most out of your trip, we are here for you 24/7. Just send a message or text us at +306943264350 (WhatsApp, Viber, Signal, iMessage), and we’ll be happy to assist and make we answer all your questions.